Quite a number of artists that we see in movies and on stage, are dependent on chemicals to do their acting, dancing, and singing. Artists who are struggling with addiction are usually faced with a number of difficulties, which causes them to encounter descent in their career.
To help an artist who is struggling with addiction, the first step is being able to identify and prove to such a person that he or she is an addict, this would be after it has been confirmed from your findings. Addicts tend to live their life with addiction as if it is their normal day-to-day activity.
SYMPTOMS OF ADDICTION
In identifying addiction, there are some possible symptoms which serves as a pointer to detecting addiction, they include:
1. When the act is being kept secret from other persons
2. Deep thoughts, pale skin, and other adverse health conditions
3. Persistent practice of the act even when it becomes unaffordable
4. Anxiety and depression
CAUSES OF OBSERVABLE SYMPTOMS OF ADDICTION
Causes of such pointers and symptoms are important for effective treatment of addiction. Some possible causes of addiction are:
1. Pressure created at the sight of a large crowd before performance: Performing in front of a large crowd can be very tasking, due to the fear of being ridiculed and scoffed at in the event of experiencing lapses of any kind. A lot of artists prefer to use illicit drugs to get over the tension and build confidence to face the crowd.
2. Need for inspiration for creativity: For an artist to thrive in the entertainment industry, the level of creativity must be topnotch and outstanding. Artists finds it easier to forget all distractions, think fast, and maximize their creative ability when they take some substances, such as heroin, cocaine, opium etc.
3. Stress relief: The rigor involved in public performance is quite enormous to start with, so artists find it refreshing to use alcohol and other substances to relieve stress and regain energy. However, when such is being repeated persistently, it would result to addiction, because the body system will adapt to it and accept it as a norm or habit.
THERAPEUTIC INTERVENTIONS AVAILABLE FOR ADDICTED ARTISTS
Artists are people with brilliant and astounding talents, such people are not to be left without help. The entertainment industry at large is commonly faced with the problem of addiction. To assist these people, advise them on visiting special rehabilitation programs on how they can overcome addiction.
They could also visit experienced therapists who have vast intellectual understanding as regards addictions. They offer personalized and confidentiality care in order to keep the artist’s image private and provide cure for addiction.